Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Creating Websites - Recommended sites of the week

One of the interesting things about the Internet, particularly Web 2.0, is the whole notion that we are not just passive consumers of media, we are also producing and reinterpreting the media out there. Take YouTube, for instance. There are folks out there creating fan art and fan-made trailers that are even better than the official movie or TV show trailers. For teachers, this means that the options available for us to create texts and showcase the talent in our classrooms are increasing exponentially every day. As I mentioned in the first entry I wrote, that was part of the motivation to create this blog.


But, why stop at blogs, I wonder. These days, creating websites is even easier than it used to. I remember around the time when "Al Gore invented the Internet" circa 1994 B.C., that in order to create a website, you needed massive knowledge at least of HTML. I remember my students back in 1997 tried to teach me HTML. They printed a handout called "HTML for Awesome Teachers (who have no idea about HTML)." Yes, I am still an awesome teacher but no, I still have no idea about HTML... I guess some things never change. The beauty of things these days is that creating a website for teachers and their classrooms is even easier. So, to get you off on the right track, my students and I recommend the following two websites:


1. YOLA, a free website creator


I learned about Yola thanks to a former student of mine when I taught CI 473 in the already legendary Spring of 2008 (since that was the one when I taught with a full-legged cast and when I met my soon-to-be wife). This student suggested Yola (at the time it was called synthasite, but they changed the name) as an alternative that she was using to put together her electronic portfolio. I started tinkering with Yola last year, when I decided I wanted to build my own website. I have to tell you, the experience has been, as comic Russell Peters would say, "mind-blasting." The site is easy to navigate, you can set your page in minutes. There are 176 free templates to choose from, so spicing up the site is not an issue. Once you're on the site creator portion, there are plenty of options to work with: You can add links to YouTube, Google, Twitter, Facebook, etc. The website also gives you the option to create a blog, if you'd still like to try that out. 


I tried Google sites at first, and I didn't find it as intuitive as Yola. Therefore, I recommend this site for any teachers interested in taking their craft to the Web 2.0!


2. ZUNAL, a WebQuest maker


One of the projects we're doing in CI 473 is creating WebQuests. Another student of mine this semester brought this site to my attention. Although I am only beginning to test-drive it myself, some of my students are already rallying here to get their WebQuests done. At first glance, it seems an easier alternative than what I had to do two years ago. So, this is my second recommendation.


In the meantime, keep reading the amazing websites my students are sharing with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment